Monday, May 26, 2008

The pickle on the shit-sandwich of life...

My search for a way to get paramedic training is not going so well. No wonder there is a paramedic shortage - you have to jump hurdles just to get into training.

The four programs in my state don't offer classes during the summer. I really can't even explain how I feel.... it's a cross between feeling like someone just died and feeling like I was going to die. It's something that has been my dream since forever...I thought I'd be able to do it since I am going to have summers off from college. That was the plan. I'd get my paramedic cert in college, be ready for medical school, then become a doctor AND medic (for professional, personal, and sentimental reasons).

I'd give anything if there was an online program that let me take the classroom classes online, but then let me do the clinical/practical stuff at a hospital or MICU. I know, the general feelings about introducing online education into EMS is really bad, but I want this so badly that it wouldn't matter how sucky the program was... I'd study myself into a coma and take awesome care of patients. That's really all I want.

4 comments:

Medic61 said...

Oh I'm so sorry :( Whatever's meant to be will find a way, so I'm sure that something will come knocking on your door before you know it!

Unknown said...

I am sure you'll find a away to get what you want. I know you think that online would suffice for the book portion but really for this kind of stuff it's best to have the face to face. Anyway. Juat keep ppluging away at it and you'll get your medic! Good luck.

Me said...

Gertrude, I do think that online classes (for the book-classes) would be best for me - I know it's not best for everyone, but I learn much better when I can sit in my room with a book and read, but more importantly think about it. I'm one of those weird learners who doesn't fit into any of those typical categories (visual, auditory, etc)...I learn from thinking about things enough that I begin to see them in my head. Being in class (in high school) seems useless for me, because I still need to go home, read the textbook, and give myself some absorption time.

Unknown said...

Just be very very careful because getting your paramedic is a whole other animal than high school or your EMT. Like I tell my students you can take it or leave it. It's just my opinion and you know what those are like. I think if you want it and you want to be good at it than you will. Oh yeah sorry about the crappy typing in the last comment. Fingers obviously didn't want to cooperate. Or maybe it was my brain.