Saturday, May 3, 2008

More College Bull$hit

This whole paying-for-college thing is stupid.
My parents didn't realize that people use loans until like last night, so there is even MORE hope for dream school.

I don't think I ever defined what "dream school" is. It is a 6 year BA/MD program out in the mid-west. I actually worked/apprenticed at a bakery near that school two summers ago, and I fell in love with Kansas City (I tried to be non-specific, but I can't help myself)! Ever since, I've wanted to move into that city. When I found out that there was a way for me to become a physician in 6 years, without jumping through all of the traditional hoops, it became my dream. I love the city, I love the school, I love the people, but I don't love the price. As an out-of-state student, we're literally talking about over $20,000 per semester (two per year), plus over $10,000 for the summer semester (one per year)...for 6 years. Yes, that means a MINIMUM of $300,000 for 6 years; that does not include any other living expenses, or even the costs of plane tickets home.

But, my parents are willing to at least explore the options of loans a little bit more. Granted, they probably won't even qualify for ANY loans...but it's still nice that they seem to support me (which they've never seem to have done before). The best case scenario is that I get the loans I need (which would need to be all in my name), and be paying off almost a million dollars over the next thirty years.

My parents really don't think it can be done. I personally believe that when people genuinely want something, the universe conspires to help them get what they want. I'm probably completely naive. Wish me luck.

No comments: