Saturday, April 12, 2008

First Post on This Blog!

So, this is it. I've decided to close my four other blogs and make my one blog of just ME. Here it is. I figure I can probably talk about those different facets of me that come together to create my blog title and why "one title cannot cover it."

Well, I'm an EMT and that's just the first step to my life in medicine. I really feel like it's my purpose. I love being an EMT, and I was just accepted in to a BS/DO program... so in 7 or 8 years, I'm going to be a physician. Hopefully, I'll get a paid job which will allow me to have some patient contact in the context of making some money. I doubt it will happen in the near future... a lot of people are just really uncomfortable with having an 18 year old taking care of people. That's life.

As you may have picked up from that last paragraph, I'm also a student. That's a major part of my life, for obvious reasons. In the fall, I'm starting at a college about six hours from my home (well... five-and-a-half) which might be too close for my liking. The Medical School I've gotten accepted in to has a campus in Erie, PA as well as Bradenton, FL... I get to pick... I'm excited about that. I'm majoring in Biology; a lot of people say that they're either a "science person" or an "art/language person". I'm neither. I love how the biological sciences can be practiced in a artful and humanistic way. I know that sounds corny... welcome to my life.

I'm also very religious - not in the "in your face" kind of way that gets on everyone's nerves... but I just am very effected by my beliefs which I allow to be founded in faith. I guess I should consider myself more "spiritual," because my outlook differs from the organized religion that I claim to be a part of (at least the modern practice of that religion). Personally, the way that I interpret the teachings of the Bible and the Tradition of the Roman Catholic Church is very different then a large part of the Church does. I see the messages of it all as loving, peace-making, and all-inclusive. I won't get in to that...yet, but you will pick up on how I feel in future posts.

I earned the rank of Eagle Scout in the Boy Scouts of America. Notice I don't call myself an Eagle Scout. I refuse to associate myself with an organization which claims to stand for a number of moralistic ideals, but still rejects members based on sexuality and/or creed. I believe in Scouting... not in discrimination. This is the basic gist of how I feel.

I had weight loss surgery in August. I've lost about 50 pounds since then. Unfortunately, the weight loss has almost stopped, and I'm still fat. I need to start exercising, which had never really been important to me... but now I'm at the point where I want to start letting that be important.

I have a lot of secrets. You'll figure them out as long as you keep reading (please do)!

No comments: